Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Philippians and Africa

I'm asking a lot of questions because I feel like life is just happening to me each day at a fast pace. There are very few slow, family moments. There is a lot of anxiousness and fretting, less sleep resulting in low capacities for patience and grace. Not excuses...just reality and yes, it, I need to change. I'm learning lots from Philippians:

"Rejoice in the Lord always....Let your GENTLENESS be evident to all" (Phil 4:5)
I am gentle with Eli but am I gentle with Drew? YL kids? HyVee employees? Other Drivers?

"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God..and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus"
The anxiety and thanksgiving parts stick out to me. I don't want to spend Elijah's infancy being axious. I don't want to constantly feel frustrated about lack of time or difficult situations, I need to be thankful. I made a list the other day...it was only one page...what I have to be thankful for should stretch a list much longer.

And on an unrelated note- Our DVD player broke which means we are not able to watch Grey's Anatomy season 2 as our wind down thing- (which is a scandalous show I know...a conversation for another day). We discussed getting cable TV for the Tevo and a phone line for our house...an extra $60/month. Then, I got an e-mail about starving babies in Africa. There are mom's with nothing to feed their babies...And I want a new DVD player or a $60/month commitment to my own entertainment? I'm challenged in this tension. I want to be involved in meeting human hurts and needs but don't know directly how. This is a conviction and question I hope I don't forget about but rather take action on soon.

4 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Schreck said...

i really appreciat your thoughts about anxiousness and gentleness...what a great reminder. oh, and i'm sure our baby will be all the things you love about Elijah, they describe Rebekah and I quite well! :)

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

For several years my mom had a gratitude journal. She wrote down five things she was thankful for EVERY day! It is really cool now to go back and look at it. Have a great week!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Wow. I like this entry. And I like what Rebekah's mom did. What a great example Janice was! I tried to do that once, and it only lasted 3 days...this is great to think about!

I'll be thinking about you guys this weekend, Linds! Give Eli a kiss!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Samantha said...

We need to get together. Sounds like you and I might have similar reactions (anxiousness, etc.) to the sleepless nights and crying jags. If you're interested, I'd love to meet you for a quick chat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home